Dawes Point

Headland on the western side of Sydney Cove.

Name
Alternate
Tar-Ra
Type

Dawes Point

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Known to its Cadigal traditional owners as Ta-Ra, the land that became Dawes Point was Sydney's first observatory and weather station, run by William Dawes. It was fortified to a Greenway design and remained government land. In 1925 part of the fort was demolished for the Sydney Harbour Bridge and most of the land became Dawes Point Park.