Glebe Island

Rocky outcrop bounded by White Bay to the west and north and Johnstons Bay to the east and south and linked to Balmain by causeway in 1840s. It was the site of abattoirs from 1850s to 1912, then levelled and used as wharves.

Type

Glebe Island

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

From abattoir to shipping terminal, Glebe Island has been an intrinsic part of the development of industrial Sydney.