Benevolent Society of New South Wales

An early charitable society, founded in 1813 and renamed the Benevolent Society in 1818, that became one of Sydney's largest health and welfare providers.

Milestone
Formed
1813
Name
Alternate
New South Wales Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge and Benevolence
1813 - 1818
Position
1813
1821 - 1868
1843 - 1846
1860
1862 - 1908
1909 - 1913
Property
Occupied
1821 - 1901
Occupied
1852 - 1918
Occupied
1901 - 1920
Occupied
1917 -
Type

Benevolent Society and Asylum

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

The Benevolent Society, and the asylum (and later hospitals, clinics and aged care centres) it ran, provided care and sustenance to Sydney's poorest from the 1820s. Although it was founded under the auspices of the Colonial Auxiliary Bible Society, it gradually became a secular, independent non-profit organisation.