Bryant's Playhouse

Originally founded as the Community Playhouse, it was the first theatre in New South Wales devoted to producing Australian drama. It occupied St Peter's Church Hall in Darlinghurst, now part of SCEGGS. Though its intention was to foster an Australian theatre tradition, the organisation proved a disaster. It was taken over by Beryl Bryant and renamed. The Playhouse was the crypt of a church with two dressing rooms and an audience capacity of 90.

Milestone
Dissolved
1931
Dissolved
1946
Name
Alternate
Community Playhouse
1929 - 1931
Position
1929
1929 - 1931
1931
1931 - 1945
1931 - 1945
1938 - 1940
Property
Occupied
1929 - 1940
Occupied
1929 - 1940
Occupied
Jul 1942 - 1945
Type