Castle Hill Lunatic Asylum

First asylum in the colony improvised in a two storey stone building which had once been a granary and convict barracks. Opened by Macquarie as a means of relieving the congestion in the town gaol, it soon became overcrowded and squalid and by 1825 plans were being made for a replacement at Liverpool.

Milestone
Opened
1811
Closed
1826
Position
1814 - 1816
Type