Engineering firm, known as Comeng, in Granville that was responsible for building many of Sydney's buses, trams and trains, including Australia's first stainless steel railcars in 1954. Originally founded as private company Smith & Waddington in Camperdown, the firm moved to Granville after the Depression and was subsequently used by the Australian government to produce materials during World War 2. The name was changed to Commonwealth Engineering when the government purchased a controlling interest in the company in 1946. This interest was sold in 1957.
The Granville factory closed in 1989 and has since been demolished.