Farmer and Company

Drapery business established in 1839 by Joseph and Caroline Farmer which became a retail empire and social institution. Located initially opposite the Victoria Theatre in Pitt Street, it expanded into a purpose built department store further south on Pitt Street in 1874.

Milestone
Opened
1840
Name
Alternate
Farmers
Alternate
Farmer, Williams and Giles
1854 - 1860
Alternate
Farmer and Painter
1860 - 1865
Alternate
Farmer, Painter and Pope
1865 - 1869
Position
1839
1839
Property
Occupied
1840 - 1847
Occupied
1854 - 1909
Occupied
1910 - 1960
Occupied
1929 - 1960
Type