Female Immigrants' Home

Organisation founded by Caroline Chisholm in 1841 to provide accommodation and support for the large numbers of single women migrating to New South Wales. The Home occupied a portion in the south west of the Immigrants Barracks on Bent Street opposite the corner of Phillip Street. It opened in November 1841 and closed on 5 May 1842 after providing for thousands of women.

Milestone
Opened
Nov 1841
Closed
05 May 1842
Position
1841
Property
Occupied
Nov 1841 - May 1842
Type