Female Orphan School

Orphanage set up in 1801 by Governor King to train destitute girls. Originally established on a site near the corner of Bridge and George streets to house 100 girls, by 1829 there were 152 inmates and the fear of moral corruption from its proximity to Sydney town lead to a new facility at Parramatta.

Milestone
Formed
17 Aug 1801
Incorporated
1850
Name
Alternate
Protestant Orphan School
1850 - 1886
Position
1803 - 1824
1827 - 1828
Property
Occupied
1818 - 1886
Type