Fisher Library

The main library at the University of Sydney which was established by bequest and government funding. It was originally located off the Quadrangle when the Fisher Library reading room, now known as MacLaurin Hall and and adjoining stack, opened in 1909. The space became inadequate and two new buildings on Eastern Avenue opened to house it, the reference library in 1962 and stack in 1971.

Milestone
Opened
1909
Name
Commemorates
Position
1952
Property
Part of
Part of
Type

Thomas Fisher

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2016

Thomas Fisher, a bootmaker and property investor, bequeathed a large portion of his estate to the University of Sydney to endow its library. Fisher Library bears his name to this day.