Flower, Salting and Company
Mercantile firm first established by Thomas Marsden and Philip William Flower in about 1830 as Marsden and Flower. Their offices were located on George Street and then on the corner of Hunter and Pitt streets. After Marsden's death it became known as Flower, Salting and Company with a new partner, Severin Salting, and junior partner, John Challis. After encountering financial difficulties during the slump of the early 1840s, the company recovered and a counterpart firm, P W Flower and Company was established in London in 1844, England and became the largest importer of Australian wool in Britain.