Native Institution

School established by Governor Macquarie for Aboriginal children, some of whom were brought by force and separated from their families. First established at Parramatta, it moved to a site at Blacktown adjacent to Colebee and Nurragingy's 1819 land grant in 1823.

Milestone
Formed
1815
Dissolved
1822
Position
1814 - 1815
1814 - 1822
1815 - 1823
1815 - 1826
Jun 1823 - Sep 1823
Type

Lock, Maria

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Educated at the Native Institution in Parramatta, Maria Lock was the first Aboriginal woman officially married to a British convict. They settled on land granted to her in Blacktown, and descendants still live in the area.

Parramatta and Black Town Native Institutions

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

The Parramatta and Black Town Native Institutions existed from 1814 till 1829 as part of a campaign initially led by Governor Lachlan Macquarie and designed to inculcate European ideas of 'civilisation', commerce and Christianity into Aboriginal people and turn them into industrious workers.