Newtown Public School

Comprehensive primary school which has served the community for over 150 years. The school opened in 1863 and was housed in a Sunday School building that is now occupied by the Sts Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church church until 1876 when a new, larger building was opened. This building on the corner of Newman and King Streets is now part of the Newtown High School of the Performing Arts while the public school has separate grounds behind the high school.

Milestone
Opened
1863
Name
Alternate
Newtown Superior Public School
1881 - 1912
Alternate
Newtown Public School and Junior Technical School
1913 - 1929
Alternate
Newtown Public School and Home Science School
1913 - 1960
Type