Shaftesbury Home for Babies and Mothers

One of a number of homes for infants and unmarried mothers operated by the State Children's Relief Board that operated in the former Shaftesbury Reformatory at Vaucluse between 1913 and 1915. The Home was closed in 1915 and operations transferred to Brush Farm at Eastwood.

Milestone
Opened
1913
Closed
1915
Property
Occupied
1913
Type

Shaftesbury Reformatory

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2018

In 1880, the Shaftesbury Reformatory for Girls opened in a converted old hotel building on New South Head Road, Vaucluse. Several other institutions including the Shaftesbury Institute for Destitute Inebriates and the Shaftesbury Home for Mothers and Babies took the reformatory's place over the following decades, until the buildings were demolished in 1930 and the land sold.