Shaftesbury Inebriate Institution
The only state run institution for alcohol and drug offenders of its time, the Shaftesbury Inebriate Institution at Vaucluse was established in 1915. Initially catering for men only, in 1916 a ward for women was opened. Patients could also be admitted voluntarily, for a fee. Most of the patients were relocated in 1927 and the Institution formally closed in 1929.