Shaftesbury Institution

Institution established in 1908 in the former Shaftesbury Reformatory at Vaucluse 'for the better class of female prisoners' and the 'reception, control, and treatment of female inebriates'.

Milestone
Opened
1908
Closed
1912
Property
Occupied
1908
Type

Shaftesbury Reformatory

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2018

In 1880, the Shaftesbury Reformatory for Girls opened in a converted old hotel building on New South Head Road, Vaucluse. Several other institutions including the Shaftesbury Institute for Destitute Inebriates and the Shaftesbury Home for Mothers and Babies took the reformatory's place over the following decades, until the buildings were demolished in 1930 and the land sold.