Society for the Relief of Destitute Children

Society formed by members of the Benevolent Society to raise funds for and manage an asylum for destitute children who were not eligible for the orphan schools. It aimed to be self-sufficient when it moved to Randwick and the site included a farm where the boys learnt farming skills. The children received a basic education andmany of the boys and girls became apprenticed to the Institution when they reached 12.

Milestone
Formed
1852
Dissolved
1915
Position
1858
1860
Property
Occupied
1852 - 1857
Occupied
1857 - 1915
Type