Established in 1882 as the ophthalmic department of Sydney Hospital. It has occupied various locations including Moorcliff at Millers Point and in 1922 moved to Woolloomooloo. In 1960 it became Sydney Eye Hospital and in 1995 it was reunited on the site of Sydney Hospital.

Name
Alternate
Moorcliff Ophthalmic Branch of Sydney Hospital
Type

Sydney Hospital and Eye Hospital

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Built by Governor Macquarie and financed by an innovative scheme that exchanged the building of the hospital for the right to sell liquor, Sydney Hospital was part of Macquarie's plans for the future of the colony.