TAFE New South Wales
A Technical and Working Men’s College established by the Sydney Mechanics School of Arts in 1878 was taken over by the colonial government in 1883 and became known as the Sydney Technical College. A Board of Technical Education within the Department of Public Instruction supervised the College and also established classes in suburban and country areas. Sydney Technical College moved to premises in Ultimo in 1891. In 1949 the Department of Technical Education was established and created the basis for technical colleges in Sydney and in country areas. The Department was renamed the Department of Technical and Further Education in 1975. In 1991 the Department was replaced by a Commission on Technical and Further Education, and the following year Sydney Technical College was renamed Sydney Institute of Technology. In 2000 the various technical colleges and institutes we re-branded as TAFE New South Wales and were organised into ten Institutes, four of them in Sydney, plus the Open Training and Education Network (OTEN) which provides distance education throughout the State.
TAFE New South Wales is the leading provider of technical and vocational education in NSW.