The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Initially a stonemason by trade, Edward Dawson became involved in the Wesleyan Church in Sydney shortly after arriving from England, teaching Sunday school in York Street before setting up a drapery business. His business evolved into J and E Dawson which he operated with his brother John. He built the heritage-listed Victorian house Ventnor in Randwick in the 1870s and by 1873 he was based in Lower Fort Street in Dawes Point. He continued his business until his retirement in 1896, after which he moved to his son's residence in Rylstone, New South Wales.