Wilma Radford was a leading figure in Australian librarianship and in education for librarianship in Australia. She joined the staff of the Public Library of New South Wales in 1932 and served in increasingly senior positions there until 1961. In 1962 she accepted appointment as senior lecturer at the newly estabished School of Librarianship at the University of New South Wales. In 1968 the University created a Chair in Librarianship, the first such position in Australia, and Wilma Radford was its first occupant. She retired in 1973. In 1937 she was a foundation member of the Australian Insttute of Librarians (later the Library Association of Australia and then the Australian Library and Information Association). She served in numerous elected positions over many decades. The Association awarded her a Fellowship in 1963 ad the HCL Anderson Award in 1976.