Agnes Banks

North-western rural district, where the Nepean and Grose Rivers meet to form the Hawkesbury River. It was named by settler Andrew Thompson after his mother.

Property
Administered by
Administered by
Part of
Part of
Owned by
1815 - 1838
Type

Agnes Banks

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Traditional land of the Dharug people, Agnes Banks was where Europeans first saw a platypus, and was the home of Yellomundi. Land was granted to Europeans from the 1800s, who farmed the rich river flats, but were frequently flooded out. Orchards were planted, and dairy farms established. By the end of the nineteenth century a community had developed with a school, post office and church but no hotel. Still a rural outpost, Agnes Banks is still home to descendants of early settlers.