Blakehurst

Southern residential suburb on the northern bank of the Georges River in Kogarah local government area. In the nineteenth century it was a centre for market gardens and boatbuilding.

Name
Alternate
Georgetown
Commemorates
Property
Administered by
- 2016
Part of
- 2016
Administered by
2016 -
Part of
2016 -
Type

Blakehurst

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Gameygal country until Europeans arrived, the area that became Blakehurst was part of huge grants given to the Townson brothers before 1810, and exploited for timber, charcoal, lime and soda, before farming began. As roads and transport improved in the mid-nineteenth century, settlement moved south. Chinese market gardeners farmed land in Blakehurst, and shipbuilding took place along the waterfront. The township grew fast in the early twentieth century, becoming a residential suburb.