Bronte

Eastern beachside suburb, between Tamarama and Clovelly. Its name comes from Bronte House and its estate, whch was most likely named after the British naval hero Lord Nelson, who was created Duke of Bronte by the King of Naples in 1799.

Name
Alternate
Nelson Bay
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Bronte

,
2008

Built on Cadigal or Biddigal/Birrabirragal land, Bronte grew up on the subdivided estate of Bronte House, completed in 1845. In the late 1880s land was resumed for the park and the beach became public land for recreation. Trams brought bathers and picnickers but Bronte remained undeveloped until the 1920s when more houses were built.