Canterbury Park racecourse

Racecourse on the Cooks River established in the 1880s, although racing had been conducted nearby from the 1840s.

Milestone
Opened
1884
Position
1884
1884 - 1895
1895 - 1955
Property
Occupied by
1884 -
Owned by
1944 - 2011
Type

Canterbury Park Racecourse

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2013

From the 1840s horseracing provided entertainment for pub patrons and workers in the Sugarworks village before more permanent facilities were constructed in the 1880s and related industries, both legal and illegal, boosted the local economy.