Carss Park

Southern residential suburb. Part of the Carrs family estate, Carrs Bush Park on Kogarah Bay was dedicated on 26 January 1924, while 150 residential lots were auctioned on the same day.

Name
Commemorates
Property
Administered by
- 2016
Part of
- 2016
Administered by
2016 -
Part of
2016 -
Type

Carss Park

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Built on the land of the Gameygal clan, Carss Park is named for William Carss, the first of the early landowners to actually live on his property, who moved there in the 1860s. By 1917 when the Carss farm was left to the Sydney Sailor's Home, the area was mostly small mixed farms, with bushland and orchards. Public protest prevented the land being sold completely for development, and a portion was set aside for Carss Bush Park.