The cultural centre of Sydney's Chinese community. Between 1909 and 1915 the Council built a new market complex at the head of Darling Harbour. Chinese traders and importers rented market space and stores, shops and restaurants followed. Rooms above these shops sometimes became home for the Chinese traders and for retired gardeners who were unable to return home. The precinct became run down by the mid 20th century; the numbers of Chinese dwindled and the markets moved out of the city. Chinatown was refurbished in the 1980s.