Cleveland Paddocks

Farmland from the 1820s in the area of Regent, Cleveland and Devonshire streets around Cleveland House. A part of the paddocks became Prince Alfred Park in 1865.

-33.888727638676, 151.20564965432

Property
Superseded by
Type

Prince Alfred Park

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

First known to Europeans as Cleveland Paddocks, the area that became Prince Alfred Park was gazetted as a public reserve in 1865, and called after Prince Alfred during his ill-fated visit in 1868. Exhibition buildings were built in the park in 1870, lasting until 1954, and elements of the original park plan, including Moreton Bay fig trees along the boundaries, still remain.