Cowan

Far northern suburb surrounded by national park. Its name is believed to be an Aboriginal word meaning 'opposite', 'other side' or 'big water'.

Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Cowan

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Originally the land of the Guringai people, Cowan was explored by botanist George Caley in 1805, and its timber harvested for use in coach building. After the railway came through in 1901 it became a popular holiday and picnic spot, with bushland surrounding the town.