Dawes Point

Harbourside suburb at the southern end of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, adjacent to The Rocks. From the earliest days of the colony it was a significant as the site of the first observatory and one of the earliest gun placements.

Name
Alternate
Maskelyne Point
Alternate
Tar-ra
Commemorates
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Dawes Point

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Known to its Cadigal traditional owners as Ta-Ra, the land that became Dawes Point was Sydney's first observatory and weather station, run by William Dawes. It was fortified to a Greenway design and remained government land. In 1925 part of the fort was demolished for the Sydney Harbour Bridge and most of the land became Dawes Point Park.