Elizabeth Farm

Farm established in Parramatta by John and Elizabeth Macarthur, on land granted to them in the 1790s. The estate was subdivided in 1880 as Rosehill. The Macarthur's residence on the property, Elizabeth Farm House, is now part of Sydney Living Museums.

Milestone
Replaced by
1880
Position
Property
Comprises
Comprises
Type

Rosehill

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Where the Parramatta and Duck rivers meet was also a meeting place for the Cadigal and the Wategora, Barramattagal and Bidjigal clans of the Dharug, before Europeans arrived and took the land. John Macarthur established Elizabeth Farm which remained intact until it was subdivided as Rosehill in 1880. The railway and river frontage made the area attractive for industry, some of which remains.