Epping

North-western residential suburb, on the land of the Wallumedegal people. Formerly part of the Pennant Hills area and the Field of Mars common, in 1899 it was named after Epping Forest in England.

Property
Administered by
Administered by
Part of
Part of
Type

Epping

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Wallumedegal land in the area that became Epping was granted to European settlers from 1794, and provided timber, fruit and vegetables to Sydney Town. When the railway came though in 1886, the name Epping was chosen, and subdivision of the rural properties began the process of suburbanisation.