Field of Mars
Common land in the Ryde area which was set aside by Governor King in 1804 for the use of the local community. It remained undeveloped until the Field of Mars Resumption Act of 1874 which enabled the colonial government to clear and subdivide the land. This was not finished until the mid-1880s, after which most of the land was sold for small farms and villas. 45 hectares remain as the Field of Mars Wildlife Refuge.