Glebe Estate

Land grant of 1790 made to the Anglican church for the maintenance of church and school. The farms were subsequently subdivided and leased as building lots, St Phillips in 1842 and Bishopthorpe in 1856. When leases expired, all the occupants became tenants of the Church of England. As the houses deteriorated a radical plan for renewal was hatched and the estate was purchased by the Commonwealth in 1974 before transfer to the New South Wales government.

Type