Liberty Plains

Area of western Sydney, owned by the Wangal people, but granted to free settlers in the 1790s.

Type

Liberty Plains

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Wangal country for thousands of years, land in the area that became known as Liberty Plains was granted to settlers from 1793. The area included land that has since become the suburbs of Lidcombe, Auburn, Newington and Homebush Bay. Population grew slowly, and in the 1830s, highway robberty was still happening in this rural area. The name Liberty Plains fell out of use during the nineteenth century.