McMahons Point

North shore harbourside suburb immediately to the west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, named for Michael McMahon, a brush and comb manufacturer who settled there in the 1860s. Before the bridge was built, ferries from Circular Quay would meet trams there.

Name
Alternate
Warrungarea
Alternate
Warung
Commemorates
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

McMahons Point

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Part of Cammeraygal country, the headland later called McMahons Point was granted to William Blue in 1817. It was named for Michael McMahon, a local politician and businessman, who advocated such infrastructure as water supply, ferry services and trams. McMahons Point became an industrial area with boatbuilding yards and engineering works along the foreshore. As this industry declined in the later twentieth century, redevelopment of the point led to fierce battles over preservation of heritage.