Melrose Park

Small residential and industrial suburb on north bank of the Parramatta River west of Meadowbank. Established as a housing estate in 1937, it is named after South Australian pioneer aviator Jimmy Melrose (1913–1936).

Name
Alternate
Walumetta
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Melrose Park

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Traditional land of the Wallumedegal people, the area that became Melrose Park was granted to two ex-marines in 1792. Edmund Lockyer bought the land in 1826 and built a grand house and a private wharf. There was also a government wharf used to transport timber and produce to Sydney. By the end of the nineteenth century the property had been broken up, and further subdivision between the wars and in the 1940s led to the new suburb being named Melrose Park in 1947.