Newmarket Precinct Randwick

Area containing historic buildings and grounds bound by Barker, Jane and Young streets in Randwick. In July 1861, John Joseph Watts leased 10 acres of land to the artist and author, Joseph Fowles, who built training stables modelled on the famous English training stables in Newmarket, Suffolk. After Fowles was declared insolvent in 1862, the property was advertised as Newmarket Hotel and leased and operated by a number of individuals until 1876, when it was purchased by the Sydney United Omnibus Company. In 1878, the property was purchased by horse auctioneer, Michael Fennelly, and pastoralist, James White. After White's death the complex was operated and owned by horse trainer, Thomas Payten. After Payten's retirement it was purchased by William Inglis and Son who still own the complex.

Property
Comprises
Owned by
1852 - 17 Dec 1873
Occupied by
1861 - 1862
Owned by
1876 - 1878
Owned by
1878 - 1883
Owned by
1878 - 12 Aug 1887
Owned by
1887 - 1890
Owned by
1917 -
Type