The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Old Burial Ground
Principal cemetery for the town of Sydney between 1792 and 1820. Originally located on the outskirts of the city, by 1819 the cemetery was full and had become 'offensive to the inhabitants of the neighbourhood'. It was closed. on 28 January 1820, and replaced by the new Devonshire Street Cemetery. Some memorials were removed to the new cemetery. After its closure, the site became neglected and dangerous. In 1869 many of the remaining graves were exhumed and monuments removed to other cemeteries when the site was redeveloped for the Sydney Town Hall, but remains continue to be found by archaeologists.