Prince Alfred Park Surry Hills

Large open parkland in Surry Hills bounded by Cleveland and Chalmers streets which had been part of Cleveland Paddocks between the 1820s and 1865.

Milestone
Created
1896
Name
Alternate
Cleveland Paddocks
- 1868
Commemorates
Type

Prince Alfred Park

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

First known to Europeans as Cleveland Paddocks, the area that became Prince Alfred Park was gazetted as a public reserve in 1865, and called after Prince Alfred during his ill-fated visit in 1868. Exhibition buildings were built in the park in 1870, lasting until 1954, and elements of the original park plan, including Moreton Bay fig trees along the boundaries, still remain.