Rosehill

Industrial and residential suburb on eastern edge of Parramatta. Site of John Macarthur's Elizabeth Farm, it was subdivided in 1880 and Rosehill Racecourse opened in 1885. River frontage and rail connections made land east of the racecourse attractive to manufacturers.

Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Rosehill

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Where the Parramatta and Duck rivers meet was also a meeting place for the Cadigal and the Wategora, Barramattagal and Bidjigal clans of the Dharug, before Europeans arrived and took the land. John Macarthur established Elizabeth Farm which remained intact until it was subdivided as Rosehill in 1880. The railway and river frontage made the area attractive for industry, some of which remains.