Rowe Street

Small street between Pitt and Castlereagh Streets originally named Brougham Place which was renamed for architect Thomas Rowe in 1875. It became a hub for Sydney's artistic and fashionable set in the mid-twentieth century before most of it was demolished in 1973 for the building of the MLC centre. Only a small portion off Pitt Street remains.

Milestone
Demolished
1973
Name
Alternate
Brougham Place
Commemorates
Property
Superseded by
Type

Rowe Street

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

A narrow laneway, running between Pitt and Castlereagh streets, Rowe Street was small-scale, personable, cosmopolitan, and fun.