Seven Hills

Western residential suburb, named for the seven hills visible from the home of early settler Matthew Pearce. Formerly a farming district, it was developed for housing after the Second World War.

Name
Alternate
Grantham
Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Seven Hills

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Traditional country of the Toongagal and Weymaly clans, the land that became Seven Hills was granted to settlers before 1820, and the original forest became farms, orchards and small farms by the 1860s. The district was famous for its oranges and stone fruit, and in the early 1900s tourists visited in spring to see the blossom. Fruit growing declined by the 1920s, giving way to poultry and dairy farming. After World War II, extensive public housing provision turned the area into residential suburbs.