Stanmore

Inner western residential suburb on the site of the estate of John James, named after his birthplace in Middlesex, England. He willed part of his land to the Methodist Church, enabling Newington College to relocate there.

Property
Administered by
Part of
Type

Stanmore

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Cadigal people walked the ridge line, which later became Stanmore Road, before the Europeans arrived. The land was granted to officers of the New South Wales Corps in 1792, and became farms, orchards and grazing land. Subdivided in the 1880s and 1890s, Stanmore developed around the railway station with Victorian villas and Federation houses. In the twentieth century, the suburb's fortunes declined, but by the 1970s gentrification was beginning to change Stanmore again.