Sydney Common

Park or open space
11 Jan 1811 -

Common land proclaimed by Governor Macquarie in 1811 for Sydney's inhabitants to graze animals. A new cemetery was established there in 1845 but never used due to objections to its ecumenical approach to death. The original 1000 acres was reduced in 1866 as land was sold to fund levelling and tree planting.

Milestone
Split off
1866
Split off
1886
Type