Wentworth Park

Recreational area at the head of Blackwattle Bay on what was originally tidal swamps. Its foreshores were used for abattoirs and boiling down works from the 1830s to the 1860s but in 1876, the swamp was filled in to eliminate noxious smells. Beginning in 1882, Wentworth Park was built on the land that had been reclaimed.

Name
Commemorates
Property
Comprises
Type

Wentworth Park

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Originally a swamp at the mouth of Blackwattle Creek, Wentworth Park has seen noxious industries, community celebrations, army camps and wool stores, and many sporting activities. Since the 1930s greyhound racing has dominated the park.