The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Albion Mills, Darling Harbour
Steam flour mill opened in January 1833 by John Terry Hughes and John Hosking in Darling Harbour on Sussex Street at the foot of Market Street. The mill was underinsured when it was destroyed by fire in March 1841, and Hughes and Hosking borrowed extensively from the Bank of Australia to try to recoup their losses. Their subsequent bankruptcy in 1843 led to the collapse of the bank. Hughes continued trading after 1846 with a new Albion Steam Mill on his estate in Surry Hills.