Boundary post No 38

One of three boundary posts remaining on the streets of Sydney, as of 2011 it was still in its original location on the north-west corner of the intersection of Cleveland Street and South Dowling Street.

Type

Sydney's Boundary Markers

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2013

When Sydney was declared a town, Governor Bourke had eight stones erected to mark the boundaries. Less than a decade later, Governor Gipps declared Sydney to be a city, marking out the boundaries of the 1842 wards with a series of cast iron posts. Where are those early markers now?