Glebe boundary marker

Boundary stone originally erected in Glebe to delineate the boundary of Sydney Town. After several moves the remnant has been incorporated into Jubilee Fountain Square.

-33.88426660690595, 151.195166051366

Type

Sydney's Boundary Markers

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2013

When Sydney was declared a town, Governor Bourke had eight stones erected to mark the boundaries. Less than a decade later, Governor Gipps declared Sydney to be a city, marking out the boundaries of the 1842 wards with a series of cast iron posts. Where are those early markers now?