King's Dockyard

Shipyard where the first ships were built for the new colony.

Position
Sep 1796 - Oct 1809
Type

King's Dockyard

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Built on the western shore of Circular Quay, King's Dockyard was the centre of the boom in boatbuilding between 1803 and 1807 and played its part in the use of native timbers in English naval yards. Its demise after 36 years reflected the end of the era of wooden ships.